Tuesday 9 February 2010

F.I.T and shopping on 5th Avenue








In the morning of our first full day in NYC we went to visit the F.I.T's museum to look at their American Beauty and Night and Day exhibitions. Heres a pic of our course gathered round waiting to go into the exhibits. We are all very wrapped up in MANY layers as it was soooooo cold in NY it was unbelievable!

We weren't allowed to take pictures in the galleries, they were very strict, we weren't even meant to use pens to write notes, only pencils. I did manage to note down a few of the outfits I liked, one was a red silk organza Halston dress from fall 1984. It was 8 two layered pattern pieces cut along the radii which were then paired and joined at four points on the body, equidistant from each other. This created a beautiful flowing gown. This was featured in the American Beauty exhibition which I really enjoyed looking around. The Night and Day exhibit featured fashion from the past 250 years and gave me a real insight into the changes in fashion, especially due to the World Wars which revolutionised women's clothing.

After looking round the F.I.T we headed to 5th Avenue to check out some shops. As well as doing some shopping, we were also looking out for interesting and unusual visual merchandising in store and in their window displays. In the next few posts our put up some of my favourite finds.

2 comments:

Tamsen said...

We're sorry about the no pictures policy. We hope you'll visit our website and enjoy photographs from the exhibitions and collections there! http://www.fitnyc.edu/museum

and

http://www3.fitnyc.edu/museum/American_Beauty/

Granny Gee said...

That's okay!

Thanks for the link and I really enjoyed your exhibtion!